Applying eye medication can be a challenge in pet care. Giving it properly will improve pet health.
- Remove any discharge around the eye with a cotton ball moistened with warm water.
- Hold your cat sideways on your lap or place him/her on a table at a comfortable height (you may want someone to help restrain your cat if you choose the second option).
- See the instructions on the bottle for dosage. Shake if necessary.
- Use one hand to hold the bottle between thumb and index while using the other to support the cat’s head.
- Tilt the head back and, to prevent blinking, use your free fingers to hold the eyelids open.
- Hold the bottle of drops close to the eye but DON’T touch the eye’s surface.
- Squeeze the drops onto the eye and once the drops are in, release the head.
- If applying ointment, apply 1/4 inch to the lower lid.
- Your cat will blink, spreading the medication over the eye’s surface.
Lakeside Veterinary clinic assumes no liability for injury to you or your pet incurred by following these descriptions or procedures.